?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Neocon idjits at work

Realizing that the military (and veterans groups) leans about 70% Republican, you'd think I'd get used to the insane drivel that spews from them on a daily basis.

The offtopic chat room, after ten minutes of lurking, has already managed to annoy the piss out of me this morning. I don't even know what the context is, but at least three (of eight) members of the room have comisserated about how horrible the New York Times is, that liberal media mouthpiece. I guess they forgot how the Times was used as the unofficial news outlet for every lie told by Ahmed Chalabi about the inevitability of finding WMDs in Iraq, or the various other ways that paper held up the Bush Doctrine of preemptive warfare as a good thing. These are the same people who use Rush Limbaugh the druguser and G. Gordon Liddy the convicted felon as news sources. How can any reasonably intelligent person (all M.I. guys here) actually believe that there is a liberal media, when Fox News is the highest-rated news channel and Air America is struggling to survive amid the Rush and Liddy radio waves?

I don't like people who mindlessly parrot viewpoints formulated by wiser heads. I don't like people who can hold such wildly contradictory beliefs to be self-evident as, "Bush is good for the country and he lowered my taxes." Does anyone think that we can keep going with trillions of dollars in debt, while continuing to dig deeper? Hell, Cuba has told its citizens to stop using dollars. When our money isn't even any good in that broke-ass country, what does that tell you about our economy?

Karl Rove and friends have done a fantastic job of snookering the American people. Many undecided voters (how can it be a week from Election Day and you be undecided?) are going to vote based on whether they think Dubya or Flippy is the more honest or agrees with their views on gay rights. Who gives a shit what your neighbor does in his bedroom? All I care about is what the impact on my bottom line is from the government. If I notice the inconveniences imposed by a shrinking set of civil liberties, that is a big deal to me. If I notice that my income is shrinking because of the government's actions, that is a big deal to me. Social issues like abortion and gay rights are not the job of the government anyway, so how the candidate feels about each issue is completely irrelevent. Or it would be irrelevent in a sane world. We live in Bizarroworld.

Mtzlplk lives.

Comment and see full formatting

Comments

( 5 comments — Leave a comment )
scarcrest
Oct. 28th, 2004 06:11 am (UTC)
Air America...
I dunno, I think Air America's doing better than anyone expected. In about seven or eight months, they've gone from six stations to 37, seem to be adding one every couple of weeks, and are getting picked up by Clear Channel stations -- which have always leaned rightward.
andysocial
Oct. 28th, 2004 06:21 pm (UTC)
Re: Air America...
Still, we've got one poorly-distributed liberal talk radio station, and every other AM station is right-wing nutjobs pretending to be licensed therapists and journalists.
scarcrest
Oct. 28th, 2004 06:41 pm (UTC)
Re: Air America...
Yup, there's definitely that.
alparrott
Oct. 29th, 2004 05:28 am (UTC)
Mxyzptlk. Pronounced "mix-yez-pittle-ick."

Don't get too bent out of shape over it, Gary. On November 2, about 48.6% of Americans will vote one way, 48.2% will vote another way, and the other parties will get the crumbs. Someone that 48% of the country didn't vote for and (according to the media I glance at) almost violently dislikes will become President, and the other 52% will have to suck it up for another four years. After all the lawsuits claiming fradulent elections die down, that is.

And what's up with that? You expect a third-world banana republic (or maybe Korea) to have corrupt, fraudulent elections. Not the Yew Ess of Ayy.
andysocial
Oct. 29th, 2004 03:55 pm (UTC)
This election is turning into the most bizarre I've ever seen in this country. The GOP is threatening voters, the Dems are making up stories about the GOP threatening voters, the Libertarians and Greens are getting arrested for having the audacity to think they were legitimate parties...

Dogs and cats, living together....
( 5 comments — Leave a comment )